Laying the foundations: The role of interpretation
Interpretation involves translating ideas and concepts into a format that attracts, interests and inspires visitors. Essentially, quality interpretation enhances people's understanding and enjoyment of the places they visit. The main benefits of providing interpretation for your visitors are:
- Interpretation helps to meet the increasing demand for educational visitor experiences.
- Interpretation provides interesting and memorable experiences that ensure visitor satisfaction, positive word-of-mouth advertising and repeat visitation.
- Interpretation encourages visitors to care about the places they visit.
- Interpretation helps minimise environmental and cultural damage by explaining the impacts of various behaviours and suggesting appropriate alternatives.
- Interpretation can act as a substitute experience for:
- places that are very fragile and/or difficult to visit (eg. caves, sacred temples), or
- topics that are impossible to experience directly (eg. disease, medieval history).